So, you’re ready to ditch that winter color and spend some time relaxing at the beach. You have 2 options: You go to a beach close to Lisbon, if you’re short on time (either on the Lisbon side, e.g. Guincho, or at Costa da Caparica) ooor you take a car and drive to amazing beaches, as some of them have even been considered part of the best in Europe.
The last option would definitely be my recommendation… and, of course, here are some suggestions:
North of Lisbon:
- Ericeira (surfer area, bigger waves, cute little town)
South of Lisbon (within 1 – 1,5h drive):
- Portinho da Arrábida / Galápos
- Praia do Carvalhal (Península de Tróia — there are 2, and the other one is way further south)
Further south (1.5h+ driving)
- Praia da Galé
- Odeceixe (close to here there’s a country house that I really like called Casa da Seiceira, used to go there with my parents — super traditional-looking, yummy homemade breakfast. In the middle of nowhere though 😉 just close to the beach)
- Praia Dona Ana (and stay in Lagos, Algarve. Such a cute town)
- Praia da Marinha, Lagoa
- Anything in Costa Vicentina, really. If you have a car drive down the national roads and stop at different cute little towns, enjoy the view, etc. If less time, just take the highway and drive all the way to the south in about 2,5h
- More: Praia da Rocha is nice, but I really hate how the whole Portimão area was built for tourists with those ugly concrete complexes and no Portuguese charm.